Saturday, June 28, 2008

some more of then

I haven't mentioned lately how much I am enjoying my new ZEN V Plus player. I ripped and burned several books on CD to it before the trip and am still going through them on the morning walk. It's Grrrrrrrrrrreat! But unfortunately, when I lie down to listen, I fall asleep. Then I have to playback until I figure out where I dropped out at. That is not so grrrrrrrreat.

One of the things my Dad was adamant on, regarding the AK trip, was that we bring lots of salmon home. Well, that we did - about 40 pounds worth. There were 5 in the fish wheel when we arrived outside of Glenallen. One was a big king red. Tony (the owner of this fish wheel) swapped it out with someone else's down the river as the red salmon are really only good for smoking according to those that fish salmon and we weren't going to be there long enough to wait for that. Yeah, I did not know that the reds are generally used only for smoking by the natives because when a king turns red, they are about to die. Imagine that -- cuz in the market, the canned red salmon is considerably higher priced. Interesting, huh? BTW, fish wheels are illegal for the non-Alaskan natives, but that does not stop the seven owners of the seven wheels that were set in this area. A little rebel in us all.

Here's a pic of me after grabbing one of the silver salmons out of the fish wheel on the Copper River (which is a glacier river, hence the silvery gray color of the water). Obviously, it has just dawned on me that coming down the ladder was a helluva lot easier than going back up and I'm contemplating how many strides it will take me to get back to land ... without getting wet, of course.



Before I left, Peg gave me this pic. It's so appropriate for us. I hung it in the office across from where I sit so when I look up it is the first thing I see. I miss her.


3 comments:

jockamo said...

good lookin' fish. may I bite off a little tail?

jockamo said...

sorry...I meant great photos. you can slap me if you want.

Michelle said...

I had never heard of fish wheels before. I love salmon though. Yum!
The picture is awesome and so sweet of Peg to give you. It always makes me happy to have things around me that remind me of good times. I am sure it is the same for you, Especially when it is from such a great friend.

I am studying in the manual of Medical Transcription while I wait for the funding which seems to be a thumbs up so far. All the people that did the testing said I was a good candidate so I am relieved and excited!

Thank YOU for patiently teaching me good information and encouraging me. :)

-Michelle