Sunday, October 5, 2008

barnyard sale!

I'm out here at the OK! cousins this weekend. Sadly, they have the farm for sale. It's time to wind down, I guess.

But how does one downsize all those toys, tools and equipment without going through an auctioneer?
A barnyard sale of course.
The OK! cousins called and asked if we wanted to come help.
Hell yes!
So the past two days we worked the barnyard sale and I'm actually going home with less than I came with.
But then, JAH (female OK! cousin) did not have any of the household stuff on this sale. That will be for another weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll need to rent a pull trailer at that point.
Well, maybe I lied a little. I am going home with a huge old metal water trough. And won't that be cute painted barn red and placed in front of my house with sweet potato vine and flowers?

JAH and I did steal a couple hours yesterday afternoon to take a long spin around the nearby sections on the ATVs. We were on a mission. I mentioned I wanted to check out the pecan trees and see how they are doing, because the one across the road was barren of any pods.
Off we went.
It looks like pecans are going to be very expensive this coming year. We did not find one tree with pods on. Not a single one.
Apparently, they had no rain here in the month of July and that is the time of year that the pods form.
I guess I'll survive a year without pecans, but those poor squirrels are going to have a helluva time. They have not had a nut famine in years.
The strong will survive.
Thank God the government can't meddle in that cycle of life and fuck it up.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

You better be glad I was not with you at the sale. We would have needed a uhaul. ;)
I love your trough idea. It will look fabulous!
I love pecans and they are so darn expensive now.
I finished anatomy. YAYAYAYAYAY! Onto Pathophysiology today. I probably should get some sleep now.Where does the time go when I am having fun?
-Michelle

Anonymous said...

I have great faith in our government...they WILL find a way to fuck up anything....squirrels and nuts no exception.

Brrrr, it's cold in Bastardchusetts...toto, I don't think we're in Texas anymore.

And, yes, yer trough will look darling. :O)