Wednesday, March 5, 2008

home and back

I took a trip to Iowa this past weekend to check in on the parent situation. I am really glad I did. Mom is a tough ol' bird, but I think it will take more than that this time around. Dad is doing various strange things to cope. But, I did spend some good alone time with each of them and had some hearty laughs.

Going home is always interesting. I have been away from there since the early 70's ‑‑ yet, I still call it home. Then when I see how Dad is dealing with his life, I think I should really live closer. I just can't bring myself to want to be in that town though. All they do for entertainment is drinkDrinkDRINK. As we all know, I too enjoy my drink now and then ‑‑ but I really want more than alcohol.

So, I happened upon one of my old lovers when I was there. We acknowledged each other ‑ not much more. Of course my first thought upon seeing him again was of that night. I wonder if that was his too. My second thought was, I'm so glad that relationship never evolved into anything. I'm guessing he is too

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooo I never go back to where I mis-spent my youth. never know who I might see. I worry about my dad, he does some weird stuff too.
It is day 23 !!!
Kat

Unknown said...

Sometimes it's not fun to run into old lovers, but it seems the trip wasn't scared by that and you had some quality time with mom and dad!!! :)

Wiz's Wench said...

thomas hardy was right...you can never go home again.

*hugs* I have a new blog...I think the Wiz phase of my life is coming to an end. BUT his replacement is standing eagerly by. I'm sad..very sad...

the mouse

www.boodlesrus.spaces.live.com

jockamo said...

moments like that bring mortality into vivid reality, don't they?

life's too short for regret, though.

yeah, I'm babbling. sorry. miss you, bren.