Monday, February 18, 2008

I can't think of a title for this

It's been a little different around here lately. Meloncoly I s'pose you could say.
My mom was placed on hospice a week ago. I'll be making the trip up there later this week while she is still somewhat lucid.
For those of you that don't know, the guidelines for Medicare to foot the bill of hospice, the diagnosis has to be 6 months or less to live.
I asked my dad if he understood what hospice means? He wasn't clear. I told him it means terminal, but I didn't tell about the 6 month thing.
I told him that they will not be giving her any more chemotherapy. He said, "well, we have 2 appointments this year, one in July and one in December. It's on the calendar here."

Denial. It's natural. After all, she's been his only love for over 61 years.
God bless him.
And please God, is it really necessary for her to suffer even more? You sure seem cruel and unloving at times.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Junq. I don't know what to say when I read something like this. I hope you get your wish, for her sake.

Anonymous said...

My mom was in really bad health with a failing valve,diabetes, CHF,oxygen,rhuematoid arthritis and then she broke her hip.
I knew she was too weak for surgery. I refused to let them operate. It was the hardest thing I've ever done but I knew it was the right thing. She died 12 hours later. I wish all the comfort in the world for your mom.
I love you and my heart aches for your pain.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Man, I know where you are coming from on this one. I had to go through the same thing with my mother a little over a year ago (COPD though, not cancer). She only lasted a few weeks in hospice, but the last couple of days were absolutely brutal. Here's hoping that your mother (and you) do not have to suffer when the end eventually comes.

Anonymous said...

Just checking on you.

Michelle said...

I am so sorry. I wish for your Mom peace,comfort and less pain. I wish for you and your Dad a lot of strength.
I am thinking about you.
Love,
Michelle

Michelle said...

sorry, it's me, michelle, despite what my account name says... I thought I deleted that account. Oh well!

Quindigo said...

I wonder if that's why He gives so many older people Alzheimer's? So they don't remember losing loved ones...

(Sorry for this sad news, B - it breaks my heart for you and your father to go through this).

Anonymous said...

Just checking in.

Anonymous said...

just checking in.
I know you are not close to your mom but, a mom is a mom huh?

say something. like quindigo says "say anything" she doesnt speak to me anymore. I guess I am not her cup of tea.

Wiz's Wench said...

I want to echo daydreamer's love and support and agree with quindigo...I DO believe Alzheimer's is God's gift to us to let us cope with our losses...of our own health, our mortality, loss of those we have loved...if we were lucid, we'd go feckin nuts.

Big big big hugs, Bren...I am always here if you need. btw..i have a new beau of sorts and a new blog to him. Come oogle my boodle...

www.boodlesrus.spaces.live.com

the mouse