Wednesday, March 19, 2008

it'll be alright

That's the phrase that was placed on Mom's headstone. it's the phrase she said repeatedly whenever anyone asked her how she was doing whilst coping with her diseases. She never ever complained.

She left us silently. Her sisters and brother, grandkids and great grandkids were all able to make it in time to see her before she passed. My younger brother didn't.

He had pretty much abandoned the family for the past 8 years. He even cut off communications with me for a long spell. I left him a message on his cell phone the weekend prior to her death regarding the urgency of the situation, but still no response. I told my older brother and my aunt, if we could just get his voice to her ear I am certain she will let go, as I know she is waiting for him.

While the malemate and I were en route back up there, he finally called Dad and Dad and my older brother arranged for a phone call to her room. She was non-responsive by that time, but they put the phone to her ear and the younger brother told her many loving things. Dad said she raised an eyebrow when she heard his voice. An hour later, on March 13, 2008, she left us for the hereafter.

She and I had a lot of differences, but I did love and respect her. Not everyone can be a wife for 61 years to the same person, or a mother to three brats. She did them both and she did them quite well.

She will be missed by many.

I will be writing a little more about this later as there was some really touching things that occurred over the past week that I want to document for myself, but not today.

7 comments:

Wiz's Wench said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wiz's Wench said...

this makes my heart ache and gives me hope. My younger son has not spoken to me in almost four years. Everyone says he will come around someday. I don't know. I hope it's before it's too late...we will both regret that.

Big hugs and comforting wishes.
the mouse

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Junq, though in some ways not. Good that she didn't have prolonged suffering. Your dad will be the vulnerable one now.

Best wishes.

jockamo said...

the thought of losing my mother horrifies me. we've made a pact that neither on of us will ever die, but seeing her become frail during the last year, makes me realize, she won't be keeping up her end of the deal.

I'm so sorry for your lost, bren.

love,
robert

Anonymous said...

a long silent hug.
kat

Michelle said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Big Hug,
Michelle

jockamo said...

i'm also sorry for you loss...not lost. ugh.