Monday, July 16, 2007

weekend with the okies



The malemate and I took a weekend off before I start the new work. We were invited to the annual Woody Guthrie Folk Festival in Okemah, OK. We arrived in OK on Thursday and headed to the festival on Friday. We made it as far as the Lou's Rocky Road Tavern, found a roost in the beer garden, and that was the only place I needed to be. It was "open mic" there and many artists played during the 7 hour stay. I had a great view of the stage and the waitress was ever prompt with the brew.

I wish I could remember the name of the band in the photo -- they were the most unique. I don't know if you can tell it in the photo, but the drum is a suitcase and his cymbal is a ceiling vent -- the other, as you can see, is a trash can. The singer sounded like Satchmo. veryVeryVERY entertaining.

Then there was a young gal name Amanda Joy. She played two sets. I could've listened to much more of her. She was oh-so yummy on the ears.

Arlo Guthrie did make an appearance at the tavern whilst I was there, but he didn't sing. I only know of "Alice's Restaurant" - and would've liked to hear that from him. But, it was not to be.

Many musicians passed before my eyes as I filled my person with the OK 3.2 beer. Yeh, what a pisser huh? That's one positive for the show-me-state of MO, at least they have high point beer. But, on the other hand, with the candy-ass alcohol content of OK beer, I was able to stay sober longer to savor the sounds of the artists.

I even got flirted on by a handsome-hardbodied-single-blue-eyed-cowboy ... named Kenny ...5 years my junior. Yeh, I felt fine that night.



3 comments:

ColleenQ said...

Let's hear more about the NEW JOB! (Hell yeah, I knew it wouldn't take long!)

Wiz's Wench said...

i am SOOOO in love with Arlo Guthrie and 'The City of New Orleans'...what a picture it paints of dustbowl America. Sounds like a fun time.

i haven't told anyone else this but I have a separate blog for Pierre...if you wanna take a look. It's www.soxaddict.live.spaces.com

It's an entirely wiz-free zone. :)

HUGS!!

Wiz's Wench said...

I still do the daffodilmouse as well. I will be posting later today.

didja slip Kenny's # into yer pocket just for emergencies??? :P