Sunday, May 11, 2008

let 'r blow

Apparently my town was hit by a killer tornado yesterday late afternoon, a tornado that caused several fatalities. I stood outside for quite awhile and watched the maniac skies gather up their power, but I didn't see a tornado form. Apparently it formed a few miles north of our house. The malemate and I will be heading to Joplin this morning which will take us close to the area that was hit.

The malemate and I volunteer at the Salvation Army on Sunday mornings. We have been doing this every Sunday that we are in town for about 2 years. I admit, I really look forward to those few hours on Sunday mornings. I get to do a bunch of cooking and I don't do ANY cleanup.

This morning it will probably be a madhouse as the Salvation Army in Joplin provides all the food when temporary shelters are set up in the area. I'm guessing there are several temporary shelters set up in Picher, OK and Neosho, MO.

Admission of guilt: As I watched the angry skies, I prayed that it would keep moving north and not affect me. Yeh, bitchRme -- just cuz I have no life here, doesn't mean I want it taken or damaged!

Lastly, Happy Mother's Day to all of you women that had the courage to be somebody's mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky on the tornado. Well, for you anyway. Wouldn't be feeling any guilt over that.

ColleenQ said...

I was thinking of you when I read all the headlines...so relieved you're alright!

We had the National Guard here last year for our town - be EXTRA happy you don't have to go through all those strip searches! (or was that just me that requested that?) ;)