Tuesday, January 6, 2009

internet/media WTF?

this cell phone issue has been quite the educating experience for this ol' gal.

i had been checking online after i suspended the service on 1/1 to see if there were any calls being made.
nothing.
tonight i decided to check it again - even though i've reactivated the service - i thought maybe these old eyes may have missed something.

well, sure as shit they had.
i scrolled down the page further to the text and internet/media section.
after all, i had to check out the texting portion of the bill because i sent my very first text message at 11:23 12/31/08. my niece had sent a happy new year message and i saw the 'reply' option. so, being the good aunt that i am not, i thought, what the hell, surely it can't be as addicting as IRC chat was in the early 1990's, as the texting is far too much work.
so, i replied with the typical aunty response of "happy NY 2 u 2 - b safe luvya"

and then i noticed this really RED bar on the internet/media section - to a wap.cellular.
there had been 8mb of data sent from 2:30 a.m. to 4:30 a.m.
i had no idea what wap.cellular or internet/media was and I sure didn't have the phone in my possession at that time.
i called at&t and told the gal that i don't even know who/what wap.cellular is and what is all the internet/media data usage about?
she stated, "there was $82.03 of data sent over the internet."

me: "huh, and to think all i did was reply to a text message at 11:23 pm 12/31/08."

the good news is, she took it off my bill as it had nothing to do with my text reply.
the other good news is, i didn't lose the phone - it was stolen.
i have been vindicated.

oh, and i really do like that texting thing. i'm pretty sure i'll be turning up that service on my phone.
so, for all you that I have cell numbers for --
chk ur msgs cuz i b txtng u

1 comment:

jockamo said...

I was lucky. Only one phone call made on mine. Local.

I seldom use my cell, it's mostly for emergencies, but I still felt a terrible loss...a personal loss.

I'm doing the phone hunting as well, and it sucks.

My contract with Qwest/Verizon is up in Februay, as Qwest is now going to use Verizon...unfortunately I haven't found any phones from them that give me a hardon.

About the pink: Red has a pink Katana...I wouldn't be caught dead using it. I know. Masculinity issues. I do like pink, though...in nature.